Registration Information

All candidates should find the category below that best suits their circumstance and follow the proper protocol to participate in Sewanee's Summer School. Housing registration closes: June 1.

For Students Currently Enrolled at the University the South:

  1. Regular Returning Students should confer with their faculty advisors and then sign up for summer courses on Banner just as you do for regular courses in the spring and fall. Look closely at our offerings and pay attention to General Education attributes and prerequisites.

  2. Sewanee Summer Workers, with the permission of their supervisors, are welcome to enroll in Summer School courses. You may also take courses and live or work off-campus for the summer term.

For Students Not Currently Seeking a Degree from the University of the South: 

  1. Incoming first-year Sewanee students or students who are seeking admission to a future incoming class should contact the Dean of Admission about enrolling in Summer School. Incoming students will be required to attend an extra-curricular program of sessions designed to familiarize you with resources on campus and help you succeed in your academic work.

  2. Undergraduates currently enrolled at other institutions should determine from their own institutions the policies governing the transfer of credits earned at the University of the South before filling out the special application for students who are not currently enrolled.

  3. Recent high school graduates who are not incoming first-year students at Sewanee or other applicants not seeking a college degree should contact the Director of the Summer School before filling out the special application for students not currently enrolled.

Auditors must register (cost: $500 for each course audited) by completing and returning the course-audit form, available in the Registrar's office. There is no course credit associated with auditing a class.

Tuition & Fees Information (Academic Credit)

Tuition: $1,120 per semester hour of credit

General Fees: $180

All students eligible for Tuition Remission according to the University’s criteria must obtain authorization from the Human Resources Office prior to registration.

All students must pay the general fees, which includes services of the University Wellness Center*, tennis privileges on University courts, swimming privileges at the indoor pool, use of athletic fields, use of the Bishop's Common facilities, and participation privileges in University-sponsored, special recreational activities.

*Prescriptions, casts, splints, and medical expenses such as X-ray, surgery, hospitalization, and treatment are the responsibility of the student and his or her family.

Room and Board: Two options

Option 1: Summer School residence hall with dining plan:

Student room rate, per person:

  • Single $997
  • Double $751

*The Summer School residence hall (Ayres Hall) will be available to students who are enrolled in a summer course, but who will not be employed by the University. If you want to claim a spot in this residence hall, return the housing form by May 23. Most room assignments will be finalized and communicated by May 27. 

Dining Plan:

Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily in McClurg Dining Hall: $767

*All students living in the summer school residence hall (but not those living in the student worker residence halls) will be on the dining plan. The dining hall will close between the end of the Easter semester and the beginning of the Summer term. McClurg will open back up for the first meal of which will be dinner on June 4, and which will conclude with breakfast on July 30, 2017. 

**You will need your Student ID to enter McClurg (and will receive a special ID sticker when you check into your Summer School residence hall to indicate to McClurg cashiers that you're on the summer meal plan). You will not be able to enter McClurg without your Student ID with the special ID sticker. 

Option 2: Student Summer Workers' residence hall without dining plan:

Student room rate, per person:

  • Single $642
  • Double $362

*The Student Summer Worker residence halls (Courts and Cleveland) are not air-conditioned. Online applications will be available from Monday, April 4 through Friday, April 29. For the Summer Housing application, go to

**These rooms/rates are only available for students who have been offered a University job over the summer. If you are not employed by the University during the summer, you may not claim a spot in one of these rooms. (Most of these positions are listed on Tigernet. NOTE: the deadline to apply for internship funding and campus jobs is April 1)

*** Student worker housing will be available from 5:00 p.m. on Monday, May 9 until Noon on Saturday, July 30. Students who continue to work on campus past July 30 will need to make other arrangements for lodging.  

Enrollment and Withdrawals

The University of the South accepts a student only for an entire summer term. Summer School classes last for the entire summer term, therefore the full charges for the term are due prior to your arrival for Summer school. A student is officially enrolled for the summer term immediately upon completion of registration. When you register for courses, you will see a charge reflecting your tuition and fees (indicated below) on your next bill. You will also receive an online housing preference form, where you can indicate whether you'll live in the Summer School residence hall, whether you'd like a double or a single, and the name of your roommate (where applicable).

Students may cancel their registration with a full refund (or full cancelation of all Summer School tuition, fees, room and board) any time through June 4, the day before classes begin. If a student, after classes begin, is dismissed or withdraws for any cause except illness, he or she is not entitled to any refund of the sum paid to the University or to cancellation of any sum due to the University. Refunds for a withdrawal because of illness are figured by prorating fees for the period from the date of withdrawal to the end of the session. The amounts to be prorated are one-half of the tuition and room charges and three-fourths of the board charge. No refund is made for the activity fee or any other fee. Notice of withdrawal and requests for refund must be made in writing addressed to the Director of Summer School and must be accompanied by a written notice from the University Wellness Center stating that the illness-withdrawal is recommended.

Other considerations:

Students should take precautions to protect personal belongings from theft or other loss. University insurance does not cover personal losses; however, the family homeowner insurance may provide insurance for these losses.

Any student responsible for damage to property shall pay the cost of repairs or replacement. All charges for damage to property become part of the student's account for the term. A student is requested to report damages of property immediately to the Physical Plant Services and to assume payment for repairs if he or she is the person responsible.

A student using a personal automobile for a class field trip or other University business should have vehicle liability insurance, since University insurance does not cover the vehicle, owner, driver, or passengers if an accident occurs.

Automobiles and Other Vehicles

The university parking rules and regulations are in effect during the summer as well as the regular school year. All student vehicles must remain parked at the student's dorm from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday unless the student is leaving campus. Parking at the bookstore and pantry is limited to customers of those businesses and must never be used for visits to McClurg. New students must register their vehicles as soon as possible after arriving on campus. Parking in a handicap space requires a handicap sticker from your home state or a permit issued by the Sewanee Police. Parking is limited to white-lined spaces. All other parking, including along the roadside and on the grass will be ticketed.


Pets are not allowed in the dormitories or academic buildings at any time.

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend class regularly. Unless otherwise indicated by the instructor, unexcused absences in a course will be limited to the number of semester-hours of credit granted for completion of the course. Unless stated otherwise in the description of the course, classes will meet for five 75-minute periods Monday through Friday, and give four semester-hours credit. Laboratory sessions for science courses are held twice weekly.

Travel to Sewanee

Interstate Highway 24 passes through Monteagle, about five miles northeast of Sewanee. After exiting on Exit 134, turn left onto Highway 41A away from Monteagle toward Sewanee. Approximate highway mileage to Sewanee from:

  • Chattanooga: 60 miles
  • Nashville: 95 miles
  • Memphis: 280 miles
  • Atlanta: 180 miles

Special Opportunities in Music

One of the world's largest carillons is located in the tower of All Saints' Chapel. Private instruction in the playing of the bells is available. Also, studio instruction in some instruments and voice is available in the department of music. Information concerning fees and arrangements may be obtained from the chairman of the music department.

Horseback Riding

The University Equestrian Center is located on the Domain of the University just minutes from the center of campus. The center's staff offers a well-rounded program which includes instruction for physical education credit, a varsity equestrian team, and the opportunity to explore the many miles of fire lanes and wilderness areas of the Domain. The riding program specializes in hunters and hunt seat equitation. Instruction in western horsemanship is also available. Facilities for boarding horses are available at reasonable rates. There is no physical education credit for equestrian instruction in the summer. Inquiries should be directed to the Equestrian Center Director, The University of the South, 735 University Avenue, Sewanee, Tennessee 37383-1000. Phone 931.598.1276 or 931.598.1122.